Saturday, July 04, 2009

London.

Just spent the past five days in a series of full-day meetings and receptions in London, completely tired out but ridiculously happy just for the opportunity to return HOME for that small while. Because it was very much like that; by the second day it felt as if I had just come back from a tour of duty in the Pore when in reality it was very much the opposite. I suppose the sun helped.

The London post has been given to a much more experienced dude who left the organisation to pursue his Masters. If all goes well for him, it means the next time the post is up for grabs again is for the term starting 2014. That's a REALLY long way from now. But perhaps by then I'll look old enough to be taken seriously.

I have to do something about these cheeks. You'd probably have realised how much I LOATHE having my photo or video taken; in 2-D, my fivehead goes Total Klingon, my flat eyes and puffy lids become reminiscent of a floater's, my jawline screams out its Chinese-peasant heritage and overdeveloped triangularsis muscles dramatically display a look of permanent disapproval.

So when my face is being projected on giant screens at an international diplomatic meeting, it's just not pretty. It is in fact rather horrifying. Fortunately most delegates are busily taking notes or cooking up interventions to notice. But it must come as a bit of a shock to those who glance up every now and then.

In 3-D, the same features that give evoke images of a clay model in its very initial stages, give me a rather... cherubic appearance. Few people looking at my naked face alone would hazard to guess that I was a day over twenty. The acne scars don't help. It's rather disadvantageous being female and looking like a fresh graduate in an industry that's mostly male and aging. I'd never get treated seriously.

I did make an appointment with the plastic clinic, but decided to cancel it in a moment of guilt over the potential cost. I'd better make that appointment again if I want results by November.

Not seeking opinion here, just needed to commit myself to it.



...

No comments: