Saturday, April 12, 2008

Sabah (Kinabalu) - Trip Post 4

ARGH my sinus is still bogged up and I can't tell if my ears are blocked or if I'm now just partially deaf. So yesterday I obtained my Advanced Open Water Diver certificate, woo hoo! The deepest I went was 30m and I don't think I want to do that again. Didn't get nitrogen narcosis (if the ability to write out the alphabet forwards and backwards does indeed prove that), but did feel mildly claustrophobic, kneeling on the sandy bottom with nothing but greenblue all around and the weight of the ocean quite literally on my shoulders.

Visited a pyramid reef (so-named given its pyramid shape emerging from the ocean floor, unattached to any island) on my last dive and was lucky enough to spot a stream (is that the right collective noun?) of barracuda doing the same. They were juvenile ones though, each only about a foot and a half long. Still a pretty specky sight, definitely gotta get a waterproof case for my camera before I go back in the water next.

Will take it easy this weekend. Turns out that the train I was planning to hop on today didn't just break down, but had actually derailed and crashed into the river I was planning to raft on. So I guess I'm not doing that. Will take it easy instead and rest up for the mountain on Monday. Photographs!

========

Now that I've got my diving certs, I'm gonna learn to keel sail and pick up a powerboat license. Then buy a yacht (or rather, marry someone who will). Yay!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats on getting the cert! and i don't think i can write out the alphabet backwards even without nitrogen narcossis, whatever that is. do you get to refer to the forwards one?

and winston wants your email address so he can invite you to his wedding, can i give it to him? and which one?

- m

Sal said...

Is it not a school of barracuda, given that they're fish...?