Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Another One Bites the Dust.

Everybody's leaving. Just today a colleague forked out over $150k as a penalty for terminating his contract with the organisation with three years to go. Another colleague has confided in me that he has received alluring offers from companies willing to pay an increase of 50% over his current salary. No doubt he would be leaving sometime soon too. As B would say, it's a candidate's market. Particularly so for the maritime sector.

What do I do about it? If there was a time for me to seek a new job, this would be it. But I simply cannot bear the thought of forking over a quarter million dollars to the organisation (that's what it would cost now), no matter how attractive the competing offer is. And as long as the exodus continues, the diminishing competition here means that my opportunities in the organisation are improving.

Or am I just afraid of finding out that I'm not wanted out there?

1 comment:

sternstadt said...

The need for young blood in your industry will probably not dip within the next few years (I am assuming... they can't increase interest in the industry that quickly), so it makes more sense to stay where you are now, work off your contract as much as possible while climbing to a higher position, and then go job searching with your better qualifications and with lesser financial penalty.