Saturday, March 17, 2007

Exfoliation.

I have been toying with all sorts of ideas on how best to break the silence on my blog. There was the Getting Chatted Up in the Gym Incident, but that news is really dated now, and anyway, you can read about it here. There was also Haiku Day, where I spent many minutes of my work day conversing with my colleagues using haikus - some of which I felt were worthy of publication (on this blog). May I'll put those up some other time. And of course there were any number of bizarre incidents involving fellow colleagues that I could have ranted about.

But now I have it.

Ever since I started work, the primary source of my vexation, the proverbial thorn in my side, the plague in my otherwise alright life, ma main BEEF with da system, has been the several layers above me through which I must clear all my work before it can get to The Biggest Boss. Let me explain this with a simple diagram:


The Biggest Boss
5
The Not-So-Biggest Boss
5
The Bigger Boss
5
The Big Boss
5
The Boss
5
5
Me

So much of my time is doing unnecessary work, predominantly for The Nonsense Boss, because the bosses between me and The Biggest Boss don't really know what exactly The Biggest Boss wants. And each of these bosses have very different ideas of what The Biggest Boss wants, requiring me to re-do my work in several different versions. I'm sure you can understand how this would drive me fucking crazy.

Anyway, on Friday - which I was having off because I had a driving theory test in the morning - I received a text from The Nonsense Boss that The Big Boss had asked to see me, presumably about my most recent paper. So I went into work just to see him, and it turned out it wasn't because of the paper. Instead, The Big Boss wanted to inform me that I was getting a promotion, leaving me feeling rather stunned. Let me explain why I was stunned by showing you what the previous diagram would look like after my promotion:

The Biggest Boss
5
The Not-So-Biggest Boss
5
Me

As you can see, quite a number of layers have been removed.

And that is how my blogging begins again.

No comments: