Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Sabah (Kinabalu) - Trip Post 2.

First dive today. Was amazing, water so clear you didn't have to be in it to see the bottom, fancily-coloured fish swimming in my face, rays skimming over the sandy bottom, rockfish blending in with the coral reefs, puffer fish ballooning as I inadvertently approach them (still haven't got the buoyancy control bit right yet), those eel-like fish with only their heads sticking out of the sand waiting for prey, jellyfish bubbling to the surface that you don't see until it's too late, sea urchins that kinda make you crave some good Japanese...

Bloody tiring though. Headed off for the island (Mamutik) at 9am and was in the water not long after. Broke for lunch at noon, back in the water an hour and a half later, then out again at 4pm. Most difficult bit was taking the mask off 6m underwater, swimming about 20m with my eyes closed, then putting my mask back on again and clearing it of water. That and taking my weight belt off at the bottom and putting it back on again. Everything's just a lot heavier down below. Swallowed so much water I feel like human jerky now. Was glad to leave the island.

Had a very early dinner (massive, really cheap meal at the Eros Ramazotti-lovin' Pizza Hut around the corner) before passing out. But I find you can't sleep for long here - the traffic is constant and very very loud. Got up at 9pm and ended up watching Apocalypto (Oh Mel, why Mel? But it was good. I always felt I should only watch movies where books wouldn't do justice to the script/plot. But blood spurting out of a split skull? Isn't that pushing it a little?). Chatted with a really good-looking James-Bond-like architect whom I'd met a couple of days ago through a really cool Japanese lady who's married with a 7 year old kid yet continues to travel lots and alone. Single travellers rule.

My beer's almost finished (it's so cheap here) and I really should be getting to bed now. More diving tomorrow, and the Open Water exam. Back later.

No comments: