Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Shmee...

I’m back!

I feel the pressure to maintain my blog at a slightly more than decent standard as it is linked to a more readership-worthy (and recently critically acclaimed) peer. Although I suspect that my lettered friend’s decision to link my blog to hers had less to do with quality and more to do with having known each other for over 13 years…

I am in a pretty good mood right now as today I received:

  1. approval for my very first day off work;
  2. my FIFTH wedding invitation for 2006 so far (this one’s in Madras!);
  3. a phone call from one of my favourite bars inviting me to a FREEFLOW BEER session this Thursday evening; and…
  4. my membership card for a well-known skincare and cosmetics brand that persuades me to believe that buying its products will perform the miracle of making me look like a supermodel.

There is much excitement afoot!

^^^^^^^^

One of the downsides of working in a predominantly late 20s to early 30s environment is that lunchtime conversations tend to be dominated by the following topics:

  1. wedding preparations;
  2. being a newly-wed;
  3. trying to have a baby;
  4. being pregnant;
  5. giving birth; and...
  6. raising young children.

Occasionally though the spin-offs from these topics can be rather interesting.

For example, the discussion about whether babies are turned off by fake boobs led to a discussion about local celebrities who are rumoured to have had work done...

...A discussion about retroverted uteri* and the inherent difficulties of attaining conception turned into a discussion about the most uncomfortable and overhyped sexual positions tried and tested**...

...And more recently a discussion about how to influence the gender of the yet-to-be conceived foetus led me to realise that I come from a family of freaks.

I shall summarise. Thousands of years ago, someone(s) in the Middle Kingdom decided to devote a lot of time to figuring out if the gender of a child could be pre-determined by some artful pairing of the mother's age and date of conception.

It turns out that it can. (To a 90% accuracy which is not too shabby at all.)

It also turns out that I should have been a boy while both my brothers were meant to be girls. Meanwhile, the rest of my office (and possibly S___) were happily born into the prescribed gender. I even tried out the chart with a 1 year correction either side of my mom's age but the results didn't change much.

Oh well.

* This means that the uterus tilts backwards towards the spine (not normal) instead of forwards towards the navel (normal).

** Standing in the shower (the soap stings and you risk cracking your skull), in the bathtub (the soap stings and you feel like a water-balloon), and upside-down (just plain weird).

^^^^^^^^

Next post: "Me transmitte sursum, Caledoni!"...

1 comment:

sternstadt said...

Hey, turn on word verification so you don't get spam comments like the one above!

Anyway, your life sounds infinitely more fascinating than mine... yesterday I went to buy new bras, and discovered that I have not gone up a cup size (as I expected) but my GIRTH has INCREASED. Feed my boobs indeed! I am thickening in my old age.